Turnips and Meat Fricassee (Shaljam Gosht)
This is a salan generally cooked in winter as turnips are a common winter vegetable. Turnips are cheap and found all over Pakistan.
- 1 kg white turnip (cut into small thin slices)
- ½ kg mutton
- 2 chopped onion
- 4 -6 chopped green chilies
- some chopped coriander leaves
- 1-1/2 cup oil or ghee
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 tsp. sugar
- ½ turmeric
- 1 tbsp. ginger paste
- 1 tbsp. garlic paste
- 1 tsp. red chili powder
- 2 tsp. coriander powder
- ½ tsp. Ground spice powder (Garam Masala)
- 1 tsp. salt
- Add meat, onions, garlic paste, ginger paste, salt, red chili powder, turmeric and tomatoes to the pressure cooker. Put in half a liter of water and place it on the stove. Close the lid and cook.
- When whistle starts blowing cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Open the pressure cooker and stir with a cooking spoon. Put oil or ghee in the cooker and keep stirring until the meat changes its color and become light brown (gosht bhoon lein).
- Now put the turnips in with the meat, and stir for 3 minutes.
- Put ¼ liters of water and lower the flame.
- When the turnips are soft stir thoroughly so that they become mashed.
- Put sugar and keep stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Now add coriander powder and spice powder and mix well.
- It is ready now. Put green coriander and chopped green chilies and place the lid while turning off the flame.
- Serve with roti or boiled rice.
This recipe serves 6-8 people. Cook and enjoy!